I had purchased some time ago a fireplace for the dollhouse. My only criteria was that it was cheap. Unfortunately cheap usually means ugly which then usually means that I will have to work on it to make it pretty. Me, not leave something alone? Shocking.
- Every house needs heat and a non-ugly source of heat
- The Victoria Miniland Egg Carton Stone Tutorial
- An ugly fireplace
- Mod Podge or clear spray sealer
- Aleene's Tacky Glue
- Egg cartons
- A piece of wood the length and width of your fireplace stack
- Popsicle sticks
- A small bit of sponge
- Paint Brushes
- Quick Grip Glue
I had purchased this ugly puppy from my most favourite store in the whole world, The Little Dollhouse Company. It was something around $11. Good enough.
I took off the front rail. Ugly. I then primed it and painted it in "Romance" (the white), a black back and the silver trim.
I then Mod Podged it in gloss finish, except for the black portion that I used matte finish. Why? Dunno. Just liked the look of it.
The Faux Stone Begins!
I took a small chunk out of a sponge and went back to my 1990's crafting roots and sponge painted DecoArt "Antique White" and Martha Stewart "Lake Fog" and "Gray Wolf" on to my egg carton.
I didn't do much ripping of the egg carton, I mostly used manicure scissors to hack at it. I made sure to have longer strips so I could wrap some over the edges to avoid weird seams from the sides and front.
This is the rear view of the wood I used. I used 4 popsicle sticks as the edge pieces and the cut off ends to shore the sides up.
I base painted the wood in "Gray Wolf" because I knew that I wasn't going to do the grouting step for this project.
I applied the stones with Aleene's Tack Glue. A bit of a puzzle with wrapping the stones over the edges and making sure everything looked uniform.
I then coated it with 4 coats of Mod Podge. I did extra coats because I wanted to fill in the "grout" spaces. Between the "Gray Wolf" base and the Mod Podge I was happy.
And it actually fit when I put it in the dollhouse! I was worried that even though I did a dry fit I would be over a hair and have to shave it. But, for once I measured correctly.
I installed both the fireplace and stone with Quick Grip.
The art in the first picture was taken from the mini decks of scrapbook paper. I used matchsticks and popsicle sticks as frames and the clear plastic from everyday packaging as "glass." I even miter cut the frames.